Policy development challenges with WTO dispute settlement and international arbitration: why is the interface between trade and investment relevant from a political, economic and legal point of view?
Moderator: Antoine Romanetti, Romanetti Avocats, Geneva/Paris
- Prof. Giorgio Sacerdoti (Professor at Bocconi University, former Chairman of the WTO Appellate Body, Milan)
- Jochen Müller (Political Counselor, European Commission, Madrid)
- Victor do Prado (Director of the Council and Trade Negotiations Committee Division, WTO, Geneva)
- Vicente Montes (Vice President, Red Española del Pacto Mundial, President Association of State Economists, Madrid)
Convergence and divergence within the substantive rules: what are the standards of protection; how are they different or similar to one another; what are the convergences and divergences?
Moderator: Fernando Lanzón, CEA member, Clifford Chance, Madrid
- Fernando Piérola (Senior Counsel, Advisory Centre on WTO Law, Geneva)
- James Flett (Legal Services, European Commission, Brussels)
- Mark Bravin (Partner, Winston & Strawn LLP, Washington, D.C.)
- Manuel Conthe (Of Counsel, Bird & Bird, Madrid)
- Prof. Yuka Fukunaga (Law Professor, Waseda University, Tokyo)
Coffee Break (11:10-11:40)
Effective implementation of trade & investment protection: what are the remedies available; what are the challenges and opportunities of using one or the other, or both?
Moderator: Fernando Bedoya, CEA-40 Member, Pérez Llorca Madrid
- Prof. Walid Ben Hamida (Professor at the University of Evry Val d’Essonne and at Sciences Po, Paris)
- Dr. Todd Weiler (investment arbitration advisor and arbitrator, London, Ontario)
- Prof. Joost Pauwelyn (Professor at IHEID/GIDSG and Georgetown University, Geneva and Washington, D.C.)
- Katrina Naut (Director-General of Foreign Trade and Administration of Trade Treaties, DICOEX, Dominican Republic)
- Javier Gallego Piñera (Director of Legal Services of Energy Wholesale and Supply, GAS
- Fernando Cuñado (Partner, KPMG)
Trade and investment disputes in real life: are they complementary; what are the pros and cons of parallel proceedings; how should they be coordinated?
Moderator: Alejandro García, CEA-40 Member, Winston & Strawn, London
- Naboth van den Broek (Partner, WilmerHale LLP, Washington, D.C. and Brussels)
- Gabriela Wurcel (Director of International Commerce, Philip Morris International, Geneva)
- Patricio Grané (Partner, Volterra Fietta, London)
- Stefano Catelani (In-house Counsel, Dupont de Nemours)
- David Jiménez Márquez (General Counsel, Codere)
How can Spanish and European companies be affected by the overlap between trade and investment regimes: will there be disputes; how will they be tackled from a legal, regulatory and policy angle?
Moderator: Melanie Riofrío Piché, CEA-40 Member, Armesto & Asociados
- Antonio Fernández-Martos (Spanish Government, Director General of the Spanish Ministry of Commerce, Madrid)
- Lourdes Catrain (Partner, Hogan Lovells International LLP, Brussels)
- Rocío Ingelmo (General Counsel, Altadis, Madrid)
- Beatriz Martínez-Falero (General Counsel, Mahou-San Miguel, Madrid)
The seminar will be followed by a cocktail dinner for participants and panelists (18:30 to…)